Thursday, June 23, 2011

Stories from the Street: John's Story


John is a big man, standing over six feet tall. He's a big man, but he's also got a big heart. He's a husband and a father with three kids. They live on Lower Wacker Drive. John and his family are homeless.

John had high hopes when he finished his degree in Engineering at Mississippi State, but he's been unable to find a job in construction so he sits at the corner of Wells and Adams asking for money to support him and his family.

When I told him I was also looking for a job, he brightened up and offered me some suggestions of places to try. "Have you tried UIC or Illinois State?" He also cracked a smile when he started talking about being an uncle.

I don't know much more about John's history, but in this brief exchange with him I can tell he is a family man who just wants to provide for his family. He may be faceless and nameless to some who pass him on the street, but to others he goes by the name John, Dad, and husband.

Join me in raising $5,000 to help break the cycle of homelessness for women and men like John in Chicago, as I train for this years Chicago Marathon. I invite you to make a tax deductible donation at http://www.active.com/donate/crossroadsrunners/edduffy

No comments: