Thursday, August 4, 2011

Stories from the Street: Lenne's Story



When I first met Lenna she was opening the door for an elderly woman entering the Dunkin Donuts at the corner of Wabash and Adams. Lenna said she doesn’t go around opening doors for everyone, but "this lady looked like she needed some help."
I introduced myself and shook her hand. As our eyes met, I could see a lot of pain and fear behind her eyes. As we talked she became more relaxed and shared her experience of being homeless for 5 years and selling Streetwise.

Before I knew it she was telling me the story of how she was studying to get her GED. She pulled out here recent test scores from her purse and showed me that she had earned a passing grade in all areas of the test except for Math. She scored a 370, but needed a 410. She was determined to pass and leverage this success to get a better paying job.

Though we spoke for just a few minutes she shared with me her hopes, her desires, and her dreams. I don’t know all of what she’s been through in her past, but I know she’s determined to persevere and get off the streets in the near future. Let’s all say a prayer in support of Lenna and her journey to a better life.

Join me in supporting folks like Lenna as I work to raise $5,000 for men and women who are homeless as I train for the October 2011 Chicago Marathon. Tax deductible donations can be made at http://www.active.com/donate/crossroadsrunners/edduffy

No comments: