Sunday, October 17, 2010

Help the Homeless!


"Streetwise, get your Streetwise here! It's got my story in it, but if you don't like it you can tack it on the wall and throw darts at it."

That's the pitch I heard recently one afternoon I was walked through my neighborhood. The Streetwise vendor, Gregg Cole, was assuming he regular post outside Potbelly Sandwiches. After hearing his remark, I decided to turn around, get off my bike and have a word with him.

I said, "That's great that your story is in Streetwise, but don't say the part about 'throwing darts at it if you don't like it." And Gregg said, "People think it's funny."

Pausing, I added, "Your story is important. Don't deflate it. Let them decide if they like it after they read it. By adding your comment about 'throwing darts' at the story, you're creating doubt in their minds whether the story is any good, and whether they should waste their time buying your magazine."

"I see what you mean," Gregg said. "I'll try it without that line and see what happens. Thanks. Here, let me give you a free copy of the magazine. Read it and tell me what you think."

"Thanks Gregg, have a great day. God bless you!"

REFLECTION

This story reinforces for me the saddest part of homelessness: the loss of a person's dignity. On the one hand this man is being vulnerable on the street, selling his story to make a living and stay off the streets, and on the other hand he has doubts about whether his story is any good. Why would someone want to buy or hear my story? I'm homeless. I have little value to society. Some people don't even see me. I have no status, few belongings, and call myself homeless, rather than "Gregg."

I've never been homeless before, and I can only imagine how humiliating the experience is. I think we need to challenge ourselves each day when we see a homeless man or women and look them in the eye and ask them their name. They deserve to be noticed, treated with dignity, and to receive our daily prayers. Give them money when you can, but take a moment to engage them in a short conversation and let them know they are beloved children of God who deserve our attention.

No comments: