Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Nature as a Mirror of God's Love


Like St. Frances I have a love of nature and this love feeds me both physically and spiritually. If you think about it, the world we live in IS nature, but being in a place like Chicago we’ve created so many brick and concrete structures that we’ve crowded out nature to some extent, so we have to intentionally go out and find time and space to BE in nature.

Nature is a mirror of God’s creation and love for us. It surrounds us, it invites us, it comforts us, it wows us, and challenges us. I love:

- Walking through the neighborhood garden down the street and seeing the flowers, plants, and trees reaching up to the sky for sunlight.

- Strolling down to the river to meditate on the rippling water, watching the ducks paddle by. I’m often drawn to reciting Psalm 23, “Beside restful waters he leads me. He refreshes my soul.”

- Hiking, fishing, biking, sailing, and camping in nature.

These experiences make me feel the reality of being surrounded by God’s love. They open my heart, make me smile, and put me at ease and full acceptance as God’s beloved.

Being in nature reminds me that it’s not all about me, but it’s about God. He created the world and all it’s wonders. Nature distracts me with its beauty, putting me in touch with the creator, and taking the focus off my self.

When I do have to work, I love working in my office sunroom because the sun, trees, blue skies, and the sound of street life below surround me.

Being in nature to me is like going to church. I can feel the tender hand of God through the Holy Spirit. In a sense it’s an opportunity for God to show off and say, “Do you see how beautiful this world is that I made for you? How can you doubt that I love you?”

Nature is a gift from God, a reflection of his love for us, and a demonstration of his ever-present goodness as the architect of life.

No comments: